Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Pacifier

We have a little tradition in the Hart household. On the first birthday of our children I cut a small hole in the end of the pacifier. This slight alteration renders the pacifier inoperable; the suction is completely lost, and it slips right out of the mouth of its unfortunate owner. Of course, there are huge ramifications for a family going through this rite of passage. Children experiencing pacifier withdrawal are generally crankier, and what once were peaceful nighttime routines become extended cry and whine sessions.

This year we broke tradition. I only dared to cut the end off of one of Clara's two pacifiers--pink passy. Perhaps it signifies that we have moved away from the "follow the book to the tee" parenting style that we employed with our first two kids. Or more likely, we needed a plan B just in case she didn't take to the new way of life. I gave her two hours, and that was enough for me. Luckily for me, purple passy was safe and sound. And Clara slept soundly that night. So did I.

No comments: